Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Looking back

I was never one of those people who was like, when I grow up I want to move to a big city, or I want to move to New York. I loved Augusta and I thought I would want to live there when I got older. Truly, I never really thought about it that much.

My first impression of the city was probably from the Cosby Show which was set in Brooklyn.

But at that time I probably didn't even know that Brooklyn was part of New York City. There was also Coming to America, which takes place primarily in Queens.


And of course, there was the Muppets Take Manhattan.

I always loved that movie. My favorite part is when someone steals Miss Piggy's purse in Central Park and Gregory Hines loans her his roller skates.

A book I read in fourth grade left such an impression on me. It took place in the MET and I always hoped to go there one day and see all the places from the book.
I have reread this book several times which is very unusual for me. It is still one of my favorites.

What's really weird is that I changed my favorite Baby-Sitter's Club character from Claudia to Stacey because she was from New York. Maybe I've just always felt this subconcious connection the city. Maybe that is why I was confident in applying to NYU before I even set foot in the city.

As I got older, there was Friends, Seinfeld. TRL, this book I read but cannot remember the title of. But what really opened my eyes to what my future could be was Felicity. I never contemplated moving to the city till then. NYU was on my list of schools to apply to because of its reputation as a liberal campus and it had other qualities I was looking for in a college. It was number five or six on my list but I had no clue, until Felicity, that it was smack dab in the middle of the city. I didn't really understand what the city was. So I thank God for Felicity.


That show totally changed my life for the better and I don't care if it was a stupid reason to go some place. I had legitimate reasons too and it all worked out in the end.

When I was growing up watching tv and reading books that took place in NYC I had no idea what I was missing. Now as I wait in exile, I watch all these movies and read all these books that take place in the city and I feel so jealous of everyone who gets to live there, while I sit here cold and alone. Wow that was depressing. My bad.

No comments: