Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Book Reviews Galore

My life goal of laughing at least once each day is aided by reading the tomes of self-deprecating comedians like Tina Fey.  Has anyone notice that female comediennes tend to be so much more self aware than are say lawyers, teachers, dentists, singers etc.  This book was hilarious and I really enjoyed all the insider info on 30 Rock, which I didn't even watch, and SNL where she was fantastic.  There were plenty of laugh out loud moments.  Does anyone else see a huge scar on her face because I do not and before I read this book I never knew she had one?  I absolutely love how she talks smack about the people who ask about her scar in the first week of meeting her.  What kind of person draws attention to the physical imperfection of another?  I will tell you who: a very bad bad person.  I cannot count the number of times that someone has pointed out mine and I have been very tempted to then point out all of theirs.  It goes so far beyond insensitivity.  If you dwell on people's scars, blisters, stretch marks, or misshapen toes for long enough to be asking questions about it than you better be a perfect freaking ten or it just draws attention to all of your imperfections which are likely more numerous.  I just see those things and more right along. 


In a previous post I mentioned a couple Lorena McCourtney books I enjoyed.  Whirlpool and Undertow were so much better than those.  I highly recommend these suspenseful Christian mysteries.  There is a lot of depth and I cannot wait to get my hands on Riptide, the third installation in the series.  I can't figure out the New York Public Library's system for acquiring books.  It seems that many series are incomplete for some inexplicable reason.  Why only get the first two in a series of three?


I also finished the second in Melody Carlson's "Dear Daphne" series.  This Christian chick lit series is so unique in it's plot and the protagonist is really endearing.  It was difficult to put this down most of the time and I don't know how I'm going to wait another 6 months to a year for the next one.  If I didn't explain about the first in the series. Daphne inherits her Aunt's house and car with the stipulation that she must return both in a year if she has not married.  Unfortunately that is huge pressure, but fortunately there are plenty of men around.

 
I also started a new series, the Cupcake Bakery mysteries.  She is the author of the Library Lovers series I adore so I figured it would be a safe bet.  It was.



The consignment shop mysteries take place in Savannah. I enjoy myself reading them, but I would only recommend them if you are seriously bored. There are a lot of spelling errors throughout the books and they start off pretty slow. The heroine can be more frustrating than likable. In all my time being born and growing up in the south I have never heard a single person say "that there . . ." and unless it's particular to Savannah, I just don't understand how the protagonist, the daughter of a judge, can run across so many people who use this phrase.

No comments: