Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Liberia: Day 2-3


Our second day in Liberia we woke up to a white wedding on a beach.  Unlike my white wedding, all the attendees actually wore white.   They played a bunch of American music like Cyndi Lauper, Luther Vandross, and Shania Twain.  The bride even walked into my wedding song, "Bless the Broken Road."




From there my dad picked us up in his taxi and took us to church where we sat in plastic chairs, did a lot of singing, and tried to understand the sermon. Liberians speak English but they had as hard a time understanding our accents as we did theirs.
the church
children's story at church



















For the rest of the day we enjoyed the beach and our all you can eat weekend.



rockin Lilly in Liberia
 
virgin pina colada and strawberry daiquiri - classic


C's lobster dinner on our second night.  Served with fries and delicious vegetable fried rice.
The next morning I went to the gym and then got into their pool.  It had been beckoning me all weekend and absolutely did not disappoint.  I haven't been able to just walk right down into a pool without getting adjusted to the temperature in decades.  This water was so warm. I had so much fun and I really didn't want to leave.
My favorite part of Kendeja
Finally our resort stay was finished.  We drove through Monrovia and down into Caldwell where my Dad lives.  I was shocked to say the least.  My dad lives in an apartment surrounded by rundown shanties. There is no running water and he only has running water at night.  But that's a story for another day . . . 

No comments: