Thursday, March 20, 2014

Liberia: Day 1

Last year, four days before C proposed, my 68 year old father decided to move to the second poorest country in the world.  Now he is on the board of a Christian college there and helps with their nursing program.  He doesn't live there like a rich American.  He lives among the shanties with no running water and only a few hours of electricity at night.  When C called to ask for my hand in marriage, he promised my dad that we would come visit him in Liberia.  Well we went and it was one of the most unique experiences of my life.  My sister did a much better job of taking pictures so I will mostly share hers.  





The airport gave me a really inaccurate picture of Liberians.  The baggage claim area was a disaster where people just through bags around and one woman scraped up my leg trying to get her enormous piece of luggage off the carousel.  Fortunately, we made it out, found my dad and walked down a dirt road to my dad's taxi.  We planned to spend the first two nights at a "resort" called RLJ Kendaja.  I would give it 3.5 stars although I am sure they would consider it 5.  I am so thankful we eased in to our "vacation" there because I was certainly unprepared for what would come later.  The people who worked there were very nice overall as were most of the people we met for the rest of our trip.  We got there just in time for an all inclusive weekend with excellent food.
the drinks

Hummus
Curried chickpeas and vegetables
my sister's dessert
the room

No comments: