Thursday, January 16, 2014

Take a Look It's In A Book

It's been a couple months since I've discussed what I've been reading. I've quickly forgotten most of them, but here are a few that stood out.
The Overnight Socialite is one of my most fun reads ever.  It's a modern Pygmalion story.  If you like that type of thing and you are at all interested in New York Society, then you will love it and read through it quickly.


Beyond Belief was written by the niece of the leader of Scientology about her experience growing up in the Sea Org, Scientology's version of clergy.  She describes her experiences doing child labor, undergoing intense interrogation, and only seeing her parents once a year, if that.  I highly recommend it because it's such an easy read.  I have found Scientology fascinating for quite some time.  After reading this book, I cannot look at actors who profit from their membership in this faith the same way.  

                

Mindy Starns Clark is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors.  She is an amazing writer.  My mom and I are reading everything by her that we can get our hands on.  These books take place near where my mom grew up and I love learning more about my Anabaptist background and details of why Mennonites ended up fleeing from Germany to America through these books.  It is so much fun to see these mysteries unravel.



I found this book to be a difficult read, but for some inexplicable reason I just had to get through it.  The protagonist suffers from depression and this is a big part of the narrative.  I started skimming those parts after a while because I was really looking for a mystery.  I would not classify this as a mystery because it's really just the story of a private investigator looking for a missing person without giving the readers any real clues that would allow them to solve the case.  I wouldn't recommend this book at all, although there were many instances where I did enjoy the read.

No comments: