Monday, February 10, 2020

Mr. Nice Guy



I just finished Mr. Nice Guy and at the end I cried. No one else would as it's a light fun beach read I selected based purely on Kevin Kwan's (of Crazy Rich Asian fame) glowing review. This book was a love letter to New York if I've ever read one and not in a dated Woody Allen or outrageously unrealistic Sex and the City way. The authors' love for New York was current, palpable, sincere, and best of all plebeian.

The references to so many places where I once dined and partied - Gramercy Tavern, 11 Madison Park, Momofuku Ko, Death & Co, Le Bain to name a few - let me know how intimately these writers know the city. My heart aches for Manhattan below 25th street. The vantage point was also that of transplants from Anywhere, USA which is the only one I truly care about. After almost four years removed from the most important, fun, thrilling place on earth, this was a bittersweet reminder of all I'm missing but was once favored enough to experience.

No comments: