Thursday, October 15, 2015

Fun Home


Yesterday I took a long lunch to go see Fun Home with R.  With no intermission and being less than 2 hours, it was the ideal show to take a long break to see.  We both really enjoyed it. The story is based on a graphic novel by Alison Bechdel.   The story is about her relationship with her father who she only found out was gay when she came out as a lesbian in college. The musical was super entertaining and the kids in it were fantastic.  The first half was mostly lighthearted and fun.  It turned more serious as the story progressed but it wasn't nearly as dark as the average play.  I think the musical aspect makes darker subjects easier for me to digest.  I can definitely understand why Fun Home won the Tony.  I would have given it to An American in Paris because of the phenomenal dancing and chemistry. Nevertheless, Fun Home made incredible use of the Circle in the Square theatre to tell one of the most interesting stories I've ever seen utilizing only a few actors brilliantly. It was definitely a nice break from the office.  

No comments: