Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Knockoff

I've read several books this summer, but this one is my favorite:

Imogen, 42 year old editor and chief of a fashion magazine, returns to her magazine after a six months recovering from breast cancer only to find that Eve, her twenty something HBS educated former assistant, has hijacked her publication and turned it into an app.  I can only assume the antagonistic twit that makes Imogen's return to work pure hell is a not so subtle reference to Anne Baxter's character in the classic movie All About Eve.  Although at 33 I'm sandwiched comfortably in between these two characters age wise, I relate so much more to Imogen.  

This book captures the twenty somethings of today perfectly.  I might be slightly more tech savvy than the main character, but I can relate so much more to her than these young girls. I can't stand how they are constantly on their phones during social situations.  I hate their insufferable oversharing on social media.  They just seem overwhelmingly slutty.  I know that's a huge generalization, but clearly the authors of this book have noticed it as well.  This is a page turner for sure and well worth the read.

No comments: