Thursday, August 27, 2015

An American in Paris

Last week J and I went to see An American in Paris.  An adaptation of the classic Gene Kelly, this was the best show I've seen in year.  I would rank it up there with my favorite shows of all like Wicked and 42nd Street.  It's sure to become a classic.  I couldn't jump up for a standing ovation fast enough.  There was a lot of ballet which was my favorite part.  My other favorite part was the orchestra playing all of the great Gershwin that I love.  I mean it was an absolute winning combination on that glorious stage.  We didn't even see it with the main lead.  Since we went on a Wednesday night we saw Garen Scribner and I can't imagine anyone playing that part, dancing that role, and having better chemistry with Leanne Cope than him.  It was all superb from start to finish.  I don't think I've ever seen a show where the first act flew by so quickly.  I was completely enraptured.  I really hadn't remembered the story that well from the movie and it's not even the movie that makes the show.  I have a hard time believing I will enjoy Fun Home more.


No comments: