Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Good Reads

Shadows of Lancaster County is an amazing book with multiple mysteries, lacking even a smidgen of superfluous filler.  Incredibly dense and exciting, I hung on Clark's every word. Within the first couple chapters the protagonist was held at gunpoint and chased around her house for heirloom rubies she knew nothing about.  Meanwhile her brother disappears and she has to return home and stay with Amish friends she grew up with so she can find him. This is my new gold standard for Christian mysteries.

I've also been reading a lot of wedding books to get in the mood for my impending nuptials.
 Buried in Buttercream (Savannah Reid Mystery, #17)
I just started Revenge Wears Prada, but I thoroughly enjoyed Murder of a Wedding Belle and Buried in Buttercream.  In the latter, Savannah suffers through two ruined weddings and still finds her wedding planner's murderer.  One of the cutest things was that all her visiting siblings were named after various towns in Georgia, such as Alma, Atlanta, Jesup, Marietta, Macon, Vidalia and Waycross.  I wonder if you'd have to be from Georgia to have recognized this.
 
And I finished another Haley Randolf mystery last week which was a particularly fun read.  I can also recommend the Carter House Girls series, but it's way more appropriate for the teenage/early twenties crowd.  I just started reading the Fountainhead.  My mom is trying to read 100 books this year.  I'm giving her a run for her money.  

1 comment:

Jammie said...

I am impressed by how many books you are reading! BTW -- "Buried in Buttercream" didn't sound like a murder mystery. It sounds like my food fantasy. :D