Monday, May 20, 2013

Gatsby & Park Avenue

Last night J and I went to see Gatsby.  I loved every second of it.  It followed the book so closely.  Parts of it, particularly the portrayal of Queens, were exactly what I pictured when I read the book.  The best part was the music.  The juxtaposition of Gershwin and Jay Z (stop stealing my wedding ideas Baz Luhrmann!) was my favorite part of all.  The soundtrack really helped capture the spirit of New York.  Visually it was a pleasure.  I even liked it better than the version starring Robert Redford who is so much hotter than Leonardo DiCaprio but oh well.  


I also recently watched Park Avenue: Money, Power, & the American Dream.  The documentary features the author of 740 Park Avenue, a book I got a few years back, but never finished reading.  It was really interesting and they spent a lot of time of Ayn Rand and her influence over some of the richest people in America.  I had never thought about it until they mentioned it, but her philosophy is the same as Gordon Gekko . . . Greed is Good.

1 comment:

Jammie said...

Oooh, I totally want to see that movie! And in total agreement about Robert Redford. :D