Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Getting Organized

 So seven lazy Susans later and my house is still an organizational nightmare. Clea and Joanna suggest starting with a drawer, but since I have the equivalent of 90,000 drawers to organize I feel like I just need those ladies to come to my house. I'm going to attempt to take it step by step with the goal that my house will be fully functional with everything labeled by Thanksgiving 2021. How fantastic would it be to have the house completely organized before taking five bins and a Christmas tree down from the attic? That reminds me: buy ornament organizers. In case you think I'm exaggerating, these are the problem areas that need attention.

1. the laundry room. This room is the catchall of the house. C is determined to put built-in-shelving in their next year which will help but for me this is the most daunting of all my spaces. It terrifies me.

2. coat racks. We have racks for each of the kids and one for ourselves but there still isn't room for all the bookbags, hats, jackets, purses, etc. I have to figure this out but it's certainly the least of my problems.

3. the kitchen. The kids' section was the first thing I organized and some other cupboards look good, but this room is only slightly less daunting 

  • two utensil drawers
  • refrigerator
  • freezer
  • tupperware cupboard
  • cabinets above the fridge
  • spices
  • pots & pans cupboard
  • bakeware cupboard
  • pantry # 1
  • pantry # 2 
4. the entertainment center

5. the bookshelf in the living room, another catchall
  • space on top of shelves
  • shelves
  • cupboards under the shelves
6. C's (my five year old) room
  • closet
  • the top of his chest of drawers
  • the top of his bookshelf
  • walls
7. W's (my two year old's room)
  • bookcase
  • chest of drawers
  • drawers underneath futon
  • walls
8. dining room closet

9. my closet

10. my husband's closet

11. master bath
  • drawers
  • counter
So that's more like 30 areas, but with two toddlers it might as well be 90,000!

No comments: