Thursday, February 28, 2013

Walking in Memphis

So I've fulfilled one of my New Year's Resolutions: visiting a new American City.  I've been to Tennessee plenty, but a couple weeks ago I visited Memphis for the first time.  My trip was super fun and I was able to see some sites.  We started at the Lorraine Motel where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was shot.
National Civil Rights Museum
Afterwards we went to Central BBQ where I had my first taste of caramel cake.  Since I'm a vegetarian, it was nice that Memphis had a little non- animal something special for me to try out and I was definitely pleased.  We then took a walk down Beale Street. It wasn't super happening at 4:30 in the afternoon, but I'm told it starts hopping later on.
Peabody Hotel  
Next went to the Peabody hotel where I got to see their world famous ducks march from the fountain onto the elevator.  I read about this in a book last year and I couldn't wait to see all those ducks in a row.  On the way from downtown to East Memphis we passed the Memphis delta and had I known we were so close to Arkansas I would have fulfilled another resolution by visiting a new state.  (We did inadvertently venture into Mississippi the next day but I've been there.  Tennessee touches more states than any other.)


Owen Brennan's
Our belated Valentine's dinner was at Owen Brennan's, a New Orleans style restaurant.  It is also convenient located in the same shopping center as Vineyard Vines which I check out a couple days later.  We had the best Beignets with a delicious caramel sauce.  I definitely want to go back for those.  Those Memphians sure do love their caramel.  So that was just my first day in Memphis and only the start of the fun.  I can't wait for another visit.  I need to go back to Gibson's, where they sell the world's best red velvet donut and I still want to see Graceland.  

1 comment:

Jammie said...

I want to see those ducks!! :) Memphis sounds like a pretty fun/tasty town. (I love caramel, too) :D